It appears virtually impossible to protect yourself against exposure to the swine flu so the value of wearing masks is doubtful. Below are six suggestions from Dr. Vinay Goyal that seemed very reasonable practical to me. His suggestions are all natural and noninvasive.
1. Wash your hands frequently.
2. Resist touching your face with your hands if possible. Exposure comes through the nose and throat.
3. Gargle with warm salt water two times a day. This prevents proliferation once exposed. While gargling, also cleanse your nostrils. I personally sniff up water through my nose while taking a shower.
4. Get plenty of Vitamin C through the foods you eat or supplements you take. If you are taking vitamin C supplements, Dr. Goyal recommends they contain zinc to boost absorption.
5. Drink warm liquids like tea or coffee. This was a new one for me but I like the suggestion because I love to drink hot tea all day long. Apparently, drinking warm liquids washes the virus from the throat into the stomach where it cannot survive or do significant harm.
Robert Rodgers, Ph.D.